Instant Pot Vegetable Risotto.. I can’t stop making it. This is what my sister would call “bomb a** risotto”
This summer my boyfriend, Eric, got me an Instant Pot for my birthday! It was very unexpected because I had barely even told him I was interested in getting one! We were walking through Kohls and saw a display of Instant Pots. All I said was ” I want one of those”. A few days later I unwrapped this genius invention!
Meal preps are painless, dinner is effortless, the whole deal is a dream….
And that Sauté function though…. Swoon….I mean seriously… Adding a function to a Pressure cooker/ slow cooker that enables me to sauté onions and sear my meat and then instantaneously put the lid on a forget it is something short of god like ♥
No more do I have to sauté in a separate pan and then break my wrist trying to hold the pan over the slow cooker to get all those lovely little brown bits into the crock pot! Yes, Eric could hold the pan for me- but he’s not always there!!
So I’ve been spending my time making beautiful stews and warm chili that would make a grown man cry. Everything comes together quick and I’m not in the kitchen for forever making dinner.
Now something that I couldn’t imagine being Instant Pot adaptable was risotto… But after reading Martha Stewart’s One Pot Cookbook and tried a pressure cooker version of risotto and I updated it a little for the Instant Pot.
I love risotto, its creamy, savory and delicious and extremely versatile. You can have it with a nice fillet of fish or with beautifully braised beef. But normal methods of cooking risotto seem time consuming.
So here I am, living my best life, not wasting my time adding ladles of broth and stirring until
I. CAN’T. STIR. NO. MORE.
This risotto recipe came to me a few days ago when I didn’t have anything to make for dinner in the house except a bunch of half eaten veggies. I had some arborio rice on hand so from there it was a no-brainer.
Instant Pot Vegetable Risotto
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 medium white onion, diced
1/4 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
2 tablespoons dry white wine
4 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
1/2 small yellow squash, diced
1/2 small zucchini, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon or more lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
- Turn Instant Pot on to sauté mode, melt butter and then add onion, red and green bell peppers. Sauté until softened.
- Add arborio rice and continue to sauté another minute
- Add wine and stir until evaporated
- Stir in 3 cups of broth, season with salt and pepper
- Place lid, press Manual button and adjust Instant Pot to high pressure for 9 mins
- Once time is up vent pressure completely and then stir in remainder 1 1/2 cup broth, cheese, yellow squash, zucchini and frozen peas
- Return back to sauté mode to help heat veggies through for 1-2 mins, stirring frequently to prevent the risotto from sticking
- stir in lemon zest, juice and parsley
- garnish with more parm and parsley if desired